[ncl-talk] bandpass filter issue

Maria Gehne - NOAA Affiliate maria.gehne at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 6 12:58:03 MDT 2015

Hi Chang,

I would probably try a larger frequency window for the bandpass filter. As
you were saying, the narrow bandpass can induce artificial signals in your
data. The other thing that could be causing issues is the type of window
you use when you filter in Fourier space. If you simply keep the Fourier
coefficients you are interested in and set all others to zero you will see
some evidence of the Gibbs phenomenon in your filtered data. In general it
is better to use a window that is equal to 1 at the frequencies you want to
keep and then goes to zero over a range of frequencies. The squared cosine
usually works well for me. The same holds for filtering in wavenumber!

If you use a larger frequency range and are not convinced that what you are
seeing are the waves you are interested in, I would suggest doing and EOF
analysis on your filtered data to extract the mode with the most variance
in the filtered data. In this case it would be better to start with a much
larger range of frequencies.

Hope this helps,
Maria