[ncl-talk] bandpass filter issue

Xi Chang xi.chang01 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 10:39:01 MDT 2015

Hi Maria,

Yes, i actually want to analyze 16-day planetary waves  (k=1) waves using
daily data. But in this case, i dont need to decompose it into eastward and
westward propgating waves. I tried to bandpass filter the data, but since
the frequency bands are too narrow (1/15) and (1/17).. the results are bad.
any suggestion? does it mean that i need higher temporal resolution?
the steps that i do are:
1. filter data using forward and backward fourier to retain k=1
2. bandpass this filtered data to retain only freq at 1/16day

Chang