[ncl-talk] poisson_grid_fill for MODIS reflectance data

Archana Dayalu adayalu at seas.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 20 12:22:55 MST 2015

Hi Adam,

Ok, I tried the filling ... and am now trying the comparison plot panels
using the examples on the website. Specifically, I adapted the
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/grid_fill_1.ncl script for my
purposes, but the problem I get a number of errors in the plotting end of
things (not the filling):
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: Workspace reallocation would exceed maximum size
300000000
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
fatal:PlotManagerDraw: error in plot draw
fatal:_NhlPlotManagerDraw: Draw error

I am using ncl version 6.2.1. I tried another version of the plot based off
of http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/grid_fill_2.ncl and it
plots individual points rather than contour fills.

I have a sample file and the script I am using ... let me know if you need
me to send that to you.

Thank you for any help!
Archana

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM, Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi Archana,
> I do not believe there is a set method to help you come up with nscan and
> epsx. Just trial and error. Yes, you will want to set is_cyclic to False if
> your data is not global.
>
> poisson_grid_fill is a good choice for interpolation as it excels at
> filling in data both within data boundaries and along the edges. I believe
> it is the favored interpolation/extrapolation routine around here when
> infilling is required.
>
> Hope that helps!
> Adam
>
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Archana Dayalu <adayalu at seas.harvard.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am fairly new to methods of interpolation, and am considering using
>> poisson_grid_fill to interpolate missing values after I quality filtered
>> some 500m MODIS reflectance data (MOD09A1 product). Is there a method to
>> determine the optimal values for nscan and epsx? In addition, I am not
>> working with a global data set, so that would indicate is.cyclic = FALSE if
>> I understood that argument correctly?
>> Thanks for any help.
>> Regards,
>> Archana

> Adam Phillips
> Associate Scientist,  Climate and Global Dynamics Laboratory, NCAR
> www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli/   303-497-1726
>
> <http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli>

*Archana Dayalu*
Graduate Student