[ncl-talk] Plot Multi-Sensor Precipitation Estimate (MPE) from EUMETSAT

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Thu Nov 19 18:04:13 MST 2015

I had a look at this file and I can say that the warning messages
apply as follows:

The file contains 2 variables which NCL names VAR_3_1_98_P30_GLL1 and
VAR_3_1_99_P30_GLL1. The first two warning messages say that NCL does
not know the name or units of these 2 variables, and thus gives the
variable name in terms of the parameter number, the product template,
the product discipline and the product category. The reason the names
are not known is because neither NCEP or ECMWF has assigned names or
units to these parameters yet. Presumably EUMETSAT knows what these
parameters mean, but for whatever reason, the names are not assigned
yet by WMO.
You may notice that these two variables are on a lat/lon grid, which
is given in the file, and they only contain 24 elements along each of
the dimensions.

The other variable, the one you are presumably interested in,
IRRATE_P30_GSV0, is on a satellite view projection grib. In this case,
NCL gives you the data, but the lat and lon locations of the data are
not given, because this projection is not yet fully supported, as the
message says. To view this data correctly using NCL you will need to
determine the lat lon locations using some external software or a file
with the lat/lon locations given. It is on our to-do list to support
this type of grid fully.
 -dave