[ncl-talk] Wind Profile Plot using wmbarb

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 10 10:07:04 MST 2015

The "wbcrit" variable is simply a "delta" amount that is used to determine
if two wind barbs are within wbcrit distance of each other. If so, then one
of them doesn't get drawn.  If you set this to 0, then all of your wind
barbs will get drawn.

The barb_5.ncl example shows what the wind barbs look like without any
checking of distance.

The  barb_6.ncl example adds the "wbcrit" check as a way of "thinning" the
wind barbs.

If you look at your barb05_dec.pdf graphic, you will see some wind barbs
that are so close they are touching.  In the barb6_dec.pdf graphic, if two
wind barbs are within 97 meters (according to the comments of the scripts),
then the second wind barb will not get drawn. If you look at the plot
closely, you can definitely see where some of the wind barbs in this plot
are not getting drawn.

--Mary