[ncl-talk] A Chinese Student Has Some Questions about ORCA.

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 6 12:30:37 MST 2015

Dear Yidi Xue,

Unfortunately, I do not have these data files. The examples you reference
were for an NCL workshop we conducted at CERFACS, and these scripts were
for those students to use on their own datasets.

NCL cannot generate vectors from triangular meshes (yet).  Do you have the
data in any other format, like two-dimensional lat/lon arrays?

One possible idea is to regrid your data, but you have to be careful with
regridding vector data.  You can read about vector regridding in the
Climate Data Guide, https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu (search on
"regridding overview"):

Vector interpolation (eg, U, V) should be performed on the vector pair
simultaneously. Interpolating U, then separately, interpolating V may be
adequate for some purposes, but not if the interpolated vector components
were subsequently used to derive (say) divergence. An indirect approach
would be to (a) calculate the scalar quantities vorticity and divergence on
the source grid; (b) interpolate these scalar quantities to the destination
grid using standard methods; and then, (c) derive the U and V from the
rotational and divergent wind components.

--Mary