[ncl-talk] contour lines and labels

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Fri May 15 17:41:00 MDT 2015

Hi Laura,
cnLineDashSegLenF only has an effect when cnLineLabelPlacementMode is
set to "constant". I'd suggest you try that first. If that does not do
what you want, your choices are using cnLineLabelDensity with either
the "randomized" or "computed" placement modes. I'd say that
"randomized" is usually a bit simpler to work with but it somewhat
depends on the contour topology. More detailed control is available
through the cnConpackParams resource but you will definitely need to
study the documentation to learn to use it.  If you are not happy with
any of your results, we might be able to help if you send us enough
code and data to reproduce your plot. (See the "report bugs" page
under the support tab).
One more point is that for the next version of NCL, the settings used
for cnLineLabelDensity may change somewhat in order to improve the
level of control it offers.
 -dave