[ncl-talk] KML Questions

Scott Capps scott at allvertum.com
Mon May 11 14:12:21 MDT 2015

Good afternoon,

I have used NCL to output KML/KMZ files from WRF data using both Ryan
Pavlick's and Mohammad Abouali's code.  Ryan's solution was working but
is no longer working with the latest versions of NCL. For some reason,
it cannot extract the labelbar from the plot and no longer maps the plot
onto Google-Earth correctly.  Using Mohammad's solution, I am able to
get a KML/KMZ file that plots OK in Google-Earth.  However, I am not
given the option to specify a contour spacing value nor can I plot the
colorbar within google-earth.  So, the end user of the KML really has no
idea how the color contours correspond to the actual values contoured.
I really need the ability to specify a contour spacing.  Therefore, I
have two questions:

Are there plans to refine the KML functionality within NCL in the near
future?
Who do I ask for support from these contributed and external NCL routines?

Thank you,

Scott