[ncl-talk] Overlay NCL PLOT on google earth

Karin Meier-Fleischer meier-fleischer at dkrz.de
Mon May 4 04:44:24 MDT 2015

There is no xxx2KML function call in your script.

I'm not sure if I understand what you want. What do you want to modify?
Did you take a look at
http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/GETools/NCL_GETools.html
and tried some of the examples? After running ncl on the first example,
e.g., you will get a *.kml file which kann be loaded to Google Earth via
'Open File'.

I think that it's not possible to plot windbarbs on Google Earth with
NCL_GETools,
neither with the alternative from Ryan Pavlick
http://consideragainthat.org/kmlncl/.
There are only point, vectors, contours, shapefiles, polylines, and
polygons.

NCL_GETools Functions:
Point2KML               Generates a georeferenced marker, along with
optional annotations.

SHP2KML                 Generates extruded polygons from a Shapefile.

RasterTimeSeries2KML    Generates color plots from a time series, which
may then be animated
                         within Google Earth.

Velocity2KML            Generates a vector plot of time-series data.

Path2KML                Draws a georeferenced trajectory, such as the
flight path of an aircraft.

Measurements2KML        Plots colored and shaped polygons to reflect a
scalar quantity. Originally
                         was conceived as a means to plot measurements
from air-borne instrumentation.
                         The triangle shape and color in Figure 5
depicts nitric-oxide values as
                         measured by the aircraft at that instant during
its flight.

Collect_KMLs            A convenience function to collect several
disparate KML files into one.

Bye,
Karin