[ncl-talk] "Padding" Y axis tickmark labels to match w/ different number of digits

Colin Zarzycki zarzycki at umich.edu
Tue Jun 23 15:24:01 MDT 2015

Hi all,

I am creating a 4x4 tile of XY plots generated in NCL for use in a LaTeX
figure (technically, a table inside a figure).

I require the figures to be of identical size. However, the fact that the
Y-axis labels have different numbers of maximum digits between the two
panels seems to be problematic in getting the figures to match in size.

I have attached two figures that highlight this problem. If I just leave
NCL to generate the tickmarks as default, I get the figure where the XY
boxes differ in size (when scaled to fit in the 4x4 table). This appears to
occur because, for example, the Y axis in panel (a) has 2 digits while the
Y axis in panel (c) has 4 digits.

If I manually override NCL's defaults such that the Y tickmark labels have
matching a precision of 4 (set tiYAxisOffsetXF to False), the problem is
(mostly) alleviated. However, this creates the problem of having extraneous
decimal points instead of integer values in the labels.

Is there a way I can essentially "pad" the Y-axis label such that they take
up the same size regardless of how many digits NCL actually prints? I have
tried tiYAxisOffsetXF to try and force the white space to be controlled by
the Y axis title, but apparently the NDC coordinates scale with number of
Y-axis tickmark digits as well, so it doesn't solve the problem.

Cheers,

-Colin

--
Colin M. Zarzycki, ASP postdoctoral fellow
Atmospheric Modeling and Predictability