[ncl-talk] Output width of plot

Colin Zarzycki zarzycki at umich.edu
Thu Jun 4 16:11:20 MDT 2015

Hey Dave,

If you are generating figures as pdfs, you are generating vector-based
images that can be easily resized without developing compression artifacts,
which essentially eliminates the need to specify a fixed height/width
during NCL use.

The biggest issue you need to pay attention to is the relative ratio of
things like labels/titles. For example, you need to be careful that if a
figure is to be resized to single-column, the labeling remains legible
since *all* image components will be adjusted to size at production (many
times, I increase the size of my labels if I know the image will be
physically printed small).

However, generally the "size" of a vector-based image is irrelevant and it
is trivial for a copyeditor to resize PDF files to fit whatever space they
need to fit during publication, so I do not worry about it when producing
these files.

-Colin

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM, David Jones <jonesd647 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Dear NCL-talk,
>
> I have to prepare some "publication quality" plots and have been requested
> to create pdf images in either "single or double column width (88 mm or 170
> mm, respectively)". My plots are panel plots.
>
> Is there a resource that I can apply prior to printing the plot, so that
> the output width will be as desired? Something like pnlres at plotWidth =
> 170 , or the equivalent width in inches?
>
> I've tried using resources such as gsnPaperWidth and
> wkPaper[Width|Height]F, but as I understand these set the width of the
> page, rather than that of the image on the page.
>
> I also tried wkPaperSize = "A4", in combination with pnlres_at_vpWidthF =
> (170./210.), but this didn't work either.

> Best regards,
> Dave.

Colin M. Zarzycki, ASP postdoctoral fellow
Atmospheric Modeling and Predictability
http://www.colinzarzycki.com