[ncl-talk] Is there an example?

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 30 14:29:09 MDT 2015

Hi Laura,
One quick way to do it is to set tmXBMode = "Explicit" and then set the
tmXBValues and tmXBLabels. See the coding for the bottom panel of example
#2 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/tickmarks.shtml#ex2

You can also try experimenting with the time_axis_labels procedure that can
be used to set up nice looking time labels:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/User_contributed/time_axis_labels.shtml
and
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/time_labels.shtml

Hope that helps!
Adam

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Laura Fowler <laura at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am plotting the diurnal cycle of some precipitation data (see
> attached plot). I calculated the precipitation rates as the
> differences between hourly data. I would like to plot the data at the
> half-hour but have the labels every hour as shown in the figure. Is
> there an example somwhere that would show me how to offset the data
> points relative to the labels on the X-Axis.
>
> Thanks,
> Laura
>

> --

> Laura D. Fowler
> Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000
>
> e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
> phone: 303-497-1628

Adam Phillips