[ncl-talk] Smoothing artifacts after applying mask

Patrick Kelly pkelly at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Jul 28 21:10:40 MDT 2015

Hello NCL community,

I am fairly new to working with graphics in NCL.
I am trying to mask global data (for a significance threshold).

I am using the “mask” feature to accomplish this and contouring the results with “gsn_csm_contour_map”
This works fairly well, but as you can seem the masking feature create some jagged artifacts at the boundary which results in breaks in the thick black contour lines.

Is there a better to somehow smooth these edges, or could I perhaps overlay another set of contour lines (unfilled) to at least get continuous lines?
I’ve tried the “smth9_Wrap” function without much success.

Thanks,
Patrick

relevant lines of code look like this:

sig = mask(X,abs(X) .lt. 0.37,False) ;; only show values whose abs() gt 0.37
plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,sig,res)

Patrick

Sent from my iPhone