[ncl-talk] Using med on Large gmeta Files

Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 bruce.lunde at navy.mil
Thu Jul 23 09:41:23 MDT 2015

UPDATE: idt is having a problem reading past a certain
record in the files which are larger than 2GB.  Does idt
have a filesize limit, or does the gmeta format have a
limit ?   Thanks, Bruce

Subject: Using med on Large gmeta Files

Hello, I am trying to run the utility "med" on
files larger than 2GB and it is failing. I can
display these gmeta files with idt. I am running
in an environment that has from 8GB to 240GB of
memory for the buffer.

Here is the command I am trying to run (I am
trying to split out all the frames within a
gmeta file):

  med -e 'split $ frame.' foo.gmeta

Here is the error message:

  med: command failed <split>

Here is a list of the file sizes which succeed
or fail using med:

  ls -l
    FAIL 2262319200 Jul 22 22:21 f1.gmeta
    FAIL 2216193120 Jul 22 22:02 f2.gmeta
    OK   2079290880 Jul 22 22:19 f3.gmeta

  ls -lh
    FAIL 2.2G Jul 22 22:21 f1.gmeta
    FAIL 2.1G Jul 22 22:02 f2.gmeta
    OK   2.0G Jul 22 22:19 f3.gmeta

Are there any suggestions of how to remedy this ?
Maybe a setting in the .hluresfile file ?

Thanks, Bruce