[ncl-talk] Cygwin issue (forked process died unexpectedly)

Kevin Vermeesch kevin.c.vermeesch at nasa.gov
Tue Jul 21 12:15:15 MDT 2015

Hi,
This is probably a Cygwin issue and not a NCL issue, but I am curious to
see if anyone else has seen this error and found a workaround for it. I
am using NCL 6.3.0 on Cygwin 2.1.0 on Windows 7. Whenever I use the
"print" or "systemfunc" NCL commands I get the respective errors:

0 [main] ncl 6820 fork: child -1 - forked process 7360 died
unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code 0x0000135, errno 11
fatal:Pager failed1

and

52 [main] ncl 7576 fork: child -1 - forked process died unexpectedly,
retry 0, exit code 0x0000135, errno 11
fatal:systemfunc: cannot create child process:[errno=11]

The "gsn_open_wks" function also produces a similar error. NCL was
working fine under an older version of Cygwin, but I recently upgraded
my Cygwin version and always get the above errors when using NCL. I
tried the ash /usr/bin/rebaseall command
(http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2011/1525.html), but that
did not fix the issue (it did on the old Cygwin version). Any tips are
appreciated because with this issue, NCL has very limited functionality
on my Windows computer.
thank you,
Kevin