[ncl-talk] Issue with cd_inv_calendar return values

Saji Hameed saji.nh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 05:32:43 MDT 2015

Dear NCL developers,

I have a library that uses cd_inv_calendar for some critical parts. Once in
a blue moon, my
script crashes due to problems with values returned by cd_inv_calendar.
Instead of returning
a whole number (for example 37785 days since 1900-01-01 return value is
double), it sometimes returns a fraction (37784.xxxx).

I use NCL version 6.3.0 on a Linux box.

It is quite difficult to reproduce this issue because it happens rarely and
randomly. I notice that
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/current_release.shtml#KnownBugs6.3.0  notes a bug
with cd_calendar when the units are specified as "minutes since" or
"seconds since".  In my case the units are
"days since 1900-01-01".

I will use ut_calendar for the time being, but thought that I would notify
the developers about this issue.

saji