[ncl-talk] How to separated regions on a large map?

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Thu Jul 16 10:38:59 MDT 2015

As Dennis says I don't think there is a simple way to do this.  Possibly in
Python but I'm not sure there.

I think what you're looking for is some type of flood fill algorithm with
the fill values as your boundary.  You could write a flood fill in fortran
and wrap it in. Depends on your desire and ability for that kind of thing.
The other option I can think of would be all ncl based using predefined
functions.

1. Draw a faux plot of your data (maybe setting the fill value to a new
plottable value depending on the next step).
      In the above define your plot so the contour is the distinction
between regions you want and regions you don't want.
2. Use get_isolines() to retrieve the coordinates outlining your good
regions.
3. Use gc_inout() to determine which region your point is enclosed by.

You could pretty easily make the above a function where you pass the grid
and the location and return the perimeter defined by get_isolines().

Good luck with it.
Alan.