[ncl-talk] How to separated regions on a large map?

Erik J. Schaffernicht eschaffe at uni-koeln.de
Fri Jul 10 06:01:07 MDT 2015

I have a 2d map where certain gridpoints have a values, all the rest are
set to FillValue or Missing. The spatial structure of the points with
values are not a-priori known.
Now, I look for a function/procedure  in NCL (or maybe in R or Python,
if those are better suited) that can tell me all the points that are
part of a region given that at the beginning of the algorithm I provide
one gridpoint that should be member as well.

The closure or border of my region is defined by all the gridpoints that
are FillValue or Missing and direct neighbours of the points valid
values.  On the total map there might be several such separated regions,
so it is important to know if that I only get the indices of the region
that belongs to my initial given grid point.

Is there anything coded like this in NCL  (or R or Python) already?