[ncl-talk] Regridding CMIP5 files to 1x1 using ESMF

Tristan Ballard tristan.ballard at duke.edu
Wed Jan 21 00:49:29 MST 2015

Hello,

I am trying to regrid various CMIP5 files onto identical 1x1 grids, ideally with identical time formats as well. I tried running the ESMF template (ESMF_regrid_6.ncl) on a file for precipitation instead of sea temperature as in the template but received multiple errors. The script attached is essentially the same as that template but with the 'conserve' method for regridding removed. I have tried it on other precipitation CMIP5 model outputs as well and received the same error message. I am running NCL version 6.1.2 on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.

This is the error I receive from the terminal window:
"Copyright (C) 1995-2013 - All Rights Reserved

 NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.2
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0)    Generating interpolation weights from CMIP5 to
(0)    World 1 degree grid using the bilinear method.
fatal:Number of dimensions in parameter (1) of (curvilinear_to_SCRIP) is (1), (2) dimensions were expected
fatal:["Execute.c":8128]:
Execute: Error occurred at or near line 3011 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8128]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 3122 in file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/esmf/ESMF_regridding.ncl

fatal:["Execute.c":8128]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 115 in file regrid_attempt2.ncl"

I've attached the script here and sent the CMIP5 raw data file (pr_Amon_GFDL-ESM2G_rcp45_r1i1p1_200601-201012.nc) to NCL via ftp. Thank you for any help. I've been trying to regrid the CMIP5 data into identical formats for months now.

Cheers,
Tristan