[ncl-talk] Problem with reconstructed plot

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 26 08:17:00 MST 2015

'eof2data' will construct fields based on the rotated components. The code
is just 'do loops'

BUT...

--
Classic EOFs are orthogonal (independent). The contributions of each
component can be added. The associated principle components are not

However ..

If you rotate a subset via varimax, the subset will be orthogonal to one
another within the subset BUT **not** to the entire field.
You are 'mixing' the subset eofs. The principle components associated with
the patterns **are** correlated

---