[ncl-talk] Plotting nam winds on regional map

Andrew Kren - NOAA Affiliate andrew.kren at noaa.gov
Sat Dec 19 10:16:55 MST 2015

I have a script that I run in real-time to generate NAM forecast output at
various pressure levels and plot variables. Attached is my script. I also
attached a plot of the 500 mb heights/vorticity from the program.

For some reason, I cannot get the u and v winds to plot, meaning the wind
barbs will not show up on the plot. I followed the convention for a 2 deg
lat/lon grid, since NAM is on a lon2d/lat2d grid. I used gsnAddCyclic =
false, declared my vfXArray and vfYArray, and used TriangularMesh for my
grid, the same settings I used for plotting the vorticity, which showed up
fine. I am thus stumped why the winds won't show up. Any advice is most
appreciated. Sorry for the long ncl code.

Andrew Kren, PhD
Research Scientist I, Global Observing Systems Analysis (GOSA) Group
NOAA ESRL Global Systems Division (Rm 3C515)
325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305
(303) 497-5418