[ncl-talk] gsn_csm_contour taking too much time with Manual Levels

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 26 13:35:37 MDT 2015

Hi Tabish,
Generally speaking, graphics creation will take longer if you explicitly
ask for contours that are quite close together (or if you ask for a large
number of contours) in noisier fields. I am guessing that NCL is choosing
contours that are not as close or are fewer in number than the ones you are
choosing.

You can also try setting the following resources:
cnFillMode = "RasterFill"
or
trGridType = "TriangularMesh

Hope that helps. If not, or if you have additional questions please email
ncl-talk.
Adam

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 1:09 AM, Tabish Ansari <tabishumaransari at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been trying to produce some contour maps from data of around
> 300x300 grid points and more using gsn_csm_contour function.
>
> When I use Manual Levels mode, the plot seems to take a lot of time and
> the system hangs- the plot is never produced. When I comment out the manual
> levels mode and plot on default colorscale, the plot is produced rather
> quickly.
>
> Has anybody come across a similar problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tabish

Adam Phillips