[ncl-talk] orthographic projection

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 6 15:55:45 MDT 2015

Hi Matt,

The standard tickmarks displayed when pmTickMarkDisplayMode is set to
"always" only appear where the map touches the border along a line.
This orthographic projection only touches the rectangular border at 4
points (not lines). There are specialized tick mark labels for polar
stereographic plots that follow the circular boundary of the plot, but
these are not available for orthographic projections as of now.
However, even when no ticks or labels are produced the TickMark object
does draw the rectangular boundary lines. That is the box around the
globe as you have drawn it. Here are some example plots to illustrate.
The first plot, labelled "Frame 3" has the limits set to less than the
maximal area. You can see that there are ticks and maybe labels only
along the border where the map is clipped by the boundaries. Frame 3a,
with the map limits set to "MaximalArea" is equivalent to your plot.
Both Frame 3 and Frame 3a have pmTickMarkDisplayMode set to "always";
mpPerimOn is False in all cases.  Frame 3b gets rid of the border by
setting pmTickMarkDisplayMode to "never".
Hope this helps.
 -dave