[ncl-talk] adjusting tension of a smooth overlaid on xyplot

Sam McClatchie (NOAA Federal) sam.mcclatchie at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 4 17:07:22 MDT 2015

Colleagues

I want to put a smooth line through a de-seasonalized time series that
shows a trend and residual variability. I'm having trouble adjusting the
tension of the smooth which I think needs to be less than one. I would
like the overlaid smooth curve to be much more smooth than the data, but
I'm basically getting a high order polynomial smooth at present.

Here is a snip of code:

(Note: the xyplot tsplots(2) was previously defined)

xi = (/spice_ts_ss&time/)
yi = monthly_anom(:,0,0)
xo = fspan(1985., 2015., 200)
ftsetp("sig",0.5)
yo = ftcurv(xi,yi,xo)

colors = (/"red","green","blue"/)
resplot at xyLineColor   = colors(0)
tsplots(3)  = gsn_csm_xy (wks,xo,yo,resplot)
overlay(tsplots(2), tsplots(3))

Changing the value of the sig parameter in ftsetp between 0.1 to 40
seems to have no effect, which suggests that I am misusing something?

Thanks in advance,
Sam
--
email signature Sam McClatchie,