[ncl-talk] Is there a way to run NCL on multiple processors?

Colin Zarzycki zarzycki at umich.edu
Mon Oct 13 12:22:17 MDT 2014

It's worth pointing out that for some applications, you can write shell
scripts which can pseudo-parallelize NCL by running multiple instances
(which are in serial) alongside one another.

Ex: If you have a high-resolution file which contains 20 time records and
you would like to use NCL to calculate vorticity from U/V for each of the
20 time records, you could spawn 20 instances of NCL which each operate on
1 of the time records. Then concatenate the output in serial after each of
the 20 jobs finishes. This will be much faster than reading the entire
dataset into a single instance of NCL.

I have found this technique highly useful when processing very large
datasets (or large numbers of files).

-Colin