[ncl-talk] US counties not appearing

Matthew Fearon Matthew.Fearon at dri.edu
Sat Nov 15 12:00:52 MST 2014

Thanks, Mary. This worked perfectly.

________________________________
From: Mary Haley [haley at ucar.edu]
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:44 AM
To: Matthew Fearon
Cc: ncl-talk at ucar.edu
Subject: Re: [ncl-talk] US counties not appearing

Hi Matt,

The problem is with WRF_map_c, which is an old routine. It's actually been renamed to "wrf_mapres_c", which if you look at the documentation:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_contributed/wrf_mapres_c.shtml

it says that this routine is deprecated, and wrf_map_resources should be used instead.

WRF_map_c (wrf_mapres_c)  is setting mpOutlineBoundarySets = "GeophysicalAndUSStates" which effectively turns off the county outlines.

You can do a few things:

  *   If you need to use WRF_map_c, then *after* you call this procedure, try setting mpOutlineBoundarySets = "AllBoundaries".
  *   Try using wrf_map_resources instead, which is a function. It should recognize that you are setting mpOutlineBoundarySets, and won't try to override it:

  mpres = wrf_map_resources (ff,mpres)

--Mary