[ncl-talk] US counties not appearing

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sat Nov 15 11:44:39 MST 2014

Hi Matt,

The problem is with WRF_map_c, which is an old routine. It's actually been
renamed to "wrf_mapres_c", which if you look at the documentation:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_contributed/wrf_mapres_c.shtml

it says that this routine is deprecated, and wrf_map_resources should be
used instead.

WRF_map_c (wrf_mapres_c)  is setting mpOutlineBoundarySets = "
GeophysicalAndUSStates" which effectively turns off the county outlines.

You can do a few things:

   - If you need to use WRF_map_c, then *after* you call this procedure,
   try setting mpOutlineBoundarySets = "AllBoundaries".
   - Try using wrf_map_resources instead, which is a function. It should
   recognize that you are setting mpOutlineBoundarySets, and won't try to
   override it:

  mpres = wrf_map_resources (ff,mpres)

--Mary