[ncl-talk] How to change the spacing betwenn latitude in a map figure?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 12 08:21:53 MST 2014

Hi,

I assume you are talking about the spacing of the tickmarks, and not the
spacing of the lat/lon grid lines (which you have to turn on via
mpGridAndLimbOn)?

You can't control the tickmark spacing very easily for any non cylindrical
equidistant map, but you could set:

  res at mpGridAndLimbOn = True
  res at mpGridLatSpacingF = 1
  res at mpGridLonSpacingF = 1

to get grid lines spaced at 1 degrees.

If you really want tickmarks to be 1 degrees, then see the first frame of
example "mptick_9.ncl" at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mptick.shtml#ex9

You should be able to copy the "add_map_tickmarks" function that is in this
script, and use it for your own purposes.

You would need to add these two lines, as you see in this example, but
change them for your own use:

;---We're putting tickmarks on all four axes.

  res at tmYLValues = ispan(32,55,3)

  res at tmXBValues = ispan(128,144,4)

--Mary