[ncl-talk] Ubuntu14.10 "setenv" package installation issue

MJ Saddington (LARC-E301)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS, INC] maryjane.saddington at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 7 08:30:39 MST 2014

Dear  COULIBALY   AMADOU,

You may want to test and see if your variables are actually being set
correctly.

About setting environment variables:
1. They can be OS dependent and/or shell dependent - which OS and shell
script language are you using?

2. After you issue the "setenv" commands (whichever one you are using),
you can check to see if they were accepted correctly:

You can issue a command like:
*env *     (which should give you the list of currently set environment
variables)
You can also issue a command like:
*cd   $NCARG_ROOT*     ( the $ forces the shell to use the value of the
variable)

3. Previously set variables may be interfering with *your* variable -
depending upon what other variables
were set and the *ORDER* in which they are invoked. You may want to look
at $PATH and see what else is set.
Also, you cannot have an infinitely long PATH - if it is too long, the
variables at the end of the PATH may be ignored.

4. Directory and file permissions may be causing a problem.
You may want to check the permissions and ownership of the :
executeable files
*NCARG_ROOT* directories
upper level directories

Mary Jane Saddington