[ncl-talk] Ubuntu14.10 "setenv" package installation issue

HAVENER, KEVIN F GS-12 USAF AFWA 14 WS/WXED kevin.havener at us.af.mil
Fri Nov 7 08:23:07 MST 2014

No I wouldn't do that.  I was just trying to figure out how ncl was installed at your location.  I was hoping that it was just a symlink problem.  Usually all of ncl is installed under the $NCARG_ROOT.  Apparently your executables were installed in /usr/bin and who knows where your lib files are?  Probably in /usr/lib but could be somewhere else, too.   There is also an include directory you'll have to locate as well.

Since it isn't going to be a simple fix, you need to ask this question on ncl-install and talk to your system admin.   I think your ncl install is broken pretty hard.  The whole ncl package needs to be installed somewhere in one directory, your NCARG_ROOT points to that directory and ncl will find the bin|lib|include directories from there.  Specifically, your installation can't find the lib directory, so it is throwing this error.  I'm guessing it may be an older version too, because ncl has installed to ncl_ncarg rather than ncarg for awhile, I think.

But if your install can't be changed, then you should be able to get your ENV set with the help of ncl-install and your sysadmin.

Kevin Havener