[ncl-talk] GFS grib2 tables

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Wed Nov 5 13:59:01 MST 2014

Hi all,

Just a quick point of interest with a new version of the GFS beginning to
enter into its final phase of testing ahead of a mid December or early
January implementation. NCL 6.2.1 doesn't quite have all the most
up-to-date GRIB tables for reading this files, as manifested in both ncl
and ncl_convert2nc. Specificallly, the error is below (I changed the text
to NCARG_ROOT):

ncl 1> a=addfile("gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p25.f096.grb2","r")

warning: Entry (21) not found in code table file
${NCARG_ROOT}/lib/ncarg/grib2_codetables/ncep/4/4.2.0.0.table

It doesn't seem to affect how well the file is read, but there are
apparently some grids that aren't in the table yet. Everything else looks
fine in the file on initial inspection.

More information on the upcoming GFS upgrade is here, but I don't see any
GRIB tables in a quick glance:
http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/products/gfs/index.shtml.upgrade

Thanks!

Kyle
Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu