[ncl-talk] Fwd: Pennants wind barbs thickness

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Thu Jul 24 13:13:49 MDT 2014

As Dave is one of the developers, he does usually know best. However, if it
is very important to you to change it and you have a reasonable number on
your plot, I would recommend outputting your file as a PS, EPS, or PDF and
taking the vector file into a post-processing program such as Adobe
Illustrator or similar. There, you can edit the length/width/color/position
of the lines as necessary. Beyond that, I doubt this feature is simple to
address. If you were going to set about fixing this as a user, you could
start writing the code to draw each line individually relative to a base
point and use the gsn_add_polyline(...) function or similar to try and
construct these on your own. For the pennants, you would likely need
gsn_add_polygon(...) to create a filled polygon, once again rotated to the
angle of each wind barb line. Of course, this would be duplicating much of
the code already written behind-the-scenes in NCL, but it IS possible if
you really need a customized implementation in the immediate future.

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu