[ncl-talk] vertically integrated moisture flux convergence in nil

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Fri Dec 26 19:02:17 MST 2014

Thomas,

This is not an NCL issue, this is a science issue. The functions are
well-documented, as you most definitely seem to understand what each
function is calculating.

Only YOU can say whether your calculation should include or exclude the
boundary levels - generally I would include them, but it depends on the
science you want to do.

If you can calculate the moisture flux itself (a simple calculation), I
would vertically integrate that and then calculate the divergence of the
resulting field as this will be more efficient. However, I'm not sure if it
would yield the same result as calculating the moisture flux divergence and
then doing the vertical integral - you can certainly try both methods and
be aware the second method will take longer to calculate.

Don't forget to look at the code that Dennis sent you in a previous email
as well - some or all of it might help outline what you want to do.

Hope this helps. If not, consult the mathematical equations for this field
and respond back to ncl-talk if you have issues implementing the
calculations within your NCL scripts.

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1421
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu