[ncl-talk] vertically integrated moisture flux convergence

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 19 09:38:30 MST 2014

   MFC = Moisture Flux Convergence

   MFC_advect = -( u*(dq/dx)+v*(dq/dy) )    ; advection term
   MFC_conv    = -q*( (du/dx)+  (dv/dy) )      ; con(div)-vergence

   MFC = MFC_advect + MFC_conv

-----------------------------

In shea_util.ncl there are several functions. These are *NOT* supported.
I put them there for people to look at and modify.  They require global
grids
ordered South->North because I use spherical harmonic functions.
Documentation is in the functions only.

%> less $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/shea_util.ncl

--------------------
undef("vertint")
function vertint (X:numeric, dp:numeric, con[1]:numeric \
                 ,long_name:string, units:string, iopt:integer)
;
; Perform vertical integration:  dim_sum_n(X*dp,lind)

------------------------------
undef("advect_gradient")
function advect_gradient (u:numeric, v:numeric, x:numeric \
                         ,gridType[1]:integer, con[1]:numeric \
                         ,long_name:string, units:string, iopt[1]:integer)
;
; linear advection of a scalar quantity: UV.GRADIENT(X)
;                                      : U*(dX/dlon) + V*(dX/dlat)
;
; Requires:
;    (1) grid be global cuz spherical harmonics are used
;    (2) required dimension order ([time,[lev,]]lat,lon)
;    (3) the input grids *must* be ordered South==>North

Divergence can be calculated via spherical harmonics

Good luck