[ncl-talk] 2d string netcdf output problem

Brammer, Alan P abrammer at albany.edu
Wed Aug 20 09:25:53 MDT 2014

Hi all,

 	I was trying to write a 2d variable of strings to netcdf.  The write went without error, but on reading the variable back the first iteration through the array is written correctly then the rest are full with “ (null) “   which is not the _FillValue.

Heres a slightly modified version of the example script from the NCL page that reproduces the problem on my machine.  And because it’s tiny here’s that netcdf as well with lots of (null) .

In my real code my variable is (/ 60, 612 /) and (0,:) is saved correctly, then (1, :50)  are correct but the rest of the variable is (null).  So it exceeds partially at 2 dimensions.

ncdump nc4_wrt_string.nc  ,   results in a seg fault as well.

Thanks,
	Alan.