[ncl-talk] Panel plots direction (top to bottom first, then left to right)

WU, Cheuk Kuen hkson at connect.hku.hk
Wed Aug 6 10:56:12 MDT 2014

Hi,

I am doing an MJO study. I am plotting the mean geopotential height and
wind vector anomalies in different phases of MJO. I plotted all the
individual plots, and even tried to do a panel plot. However, the finished
panel plot draws the individual plots from left to right, top to bottom,
like:

Phase1 Phase2
Phase3 Phase4
Phase5 Phase6
Phase7 Phase8

I want to plot them from top to bottom, left to right, like:
Phase1 Phase5
Phase2 Phase6
Phase3 Phase7
Phase4 Phase8

However, I cannot find useful information on the Internet. The most
relevant one is http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/panel_12.ncl
this one. I thought to plot phases1-4 as the first (left) panel, and phases
5-8 as the second (right) panel. But I have the common label bar and title
for all 8 plots and I don't want them to appear twice, and I want to place
them in the center but not only left or right. Is there a convenient way to
draw the plots in the way I want, i.e. from top to bottom, left to right
with only one common title and label bar in the centre?

Regards,
John