[ncl-install] Problems installing NCL on Windows 10 Linux Bash shell

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 12 10:05:14 MDT 2018

Hi Jim,

Could you please run the command “lsb_release -d” in your Ubuntu terminal and reply with the output?

Also, could you please try searching for a “librtmp” package using the following command:
sudo apt search librtmp

For reference, I found a “librtmp1” package on my Ubuntu system (not in the Windows 10 Linux subsystem). Based on the name of the missing library file, I think you would need a “librtmp0” package on your system in order for that particular NCL binary release to work.

I suspect that Microsoft may have updated the version of Ubuntu used in the Windows 10 Linux subsystem environment, in which case the ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-Debian8.6_64bit_gnu492.tar.gz download might actually work better.

Thanks,
Kevin