[ncl-install] errors in NCL-test

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Mon Aug 13 14:50:59 MDT 2018

Hi Lixu,

I believe that error message occurs if the $DISPLAY environment variable is not set or if there is no X11 display server available.

Could you please try running the command “echo $DISPLAY”?

Which OS are you running? If you are on a Mac, you may need to install XQuartz.

Are you trying to run NCL on a remote server that you connected to using SSH? If so, you will need to pass the “-Y” flag to your ssh command to allow the remote server to interact with your local X11 display server.

Also, if you do not need to display output to an X11 window (i.e. you’re not creating any graphics at all or you’re generating PNG/JPG/etc files as output), then other NCL scripts might run without needing to worry about this issue. For example, you can try running “ng4ex xy04n -clean -W png” to have the same test script generate a PNG file (named “xy04n.png”) instead of NCL trying to display to an X11 window.

I hope this helps,
Kevin