[ncl-install] Installation for begineers

Enrique Cano enriquecano2008 at gmail.com
Wed May 10 07:39:43 MDT 2017

Hello,

My name is Enrique and I currently working on my Master Thesis. I have to
translate grib files to netCDF and NCL seems to be one of the tools for
that.

I have never worked with the Ubuntu Bash for Windows. Although, I have
followed this instructions
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/windows_linux_subsystem.shtml from top to
bottom twice and I still have the same problems.

When trying "ncl -V" I received the following message:

"The program 'ncl' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install ncl-ncarg"

Since that is not mentioned anywhere in the instructions there must be a
problem with my step-by-step procedure.

My guesses:

1) Path environment. Attached find a screenshot of my PATH variable (last
three lines). Maybe the location of the .profile or the way I wrote in the
final is wrong.

2) Install directory of ncl-6.4.0. I think this is where I made my mistake.
Is not installed in my username directory which would be /home/ecanos
(username). It is installed in /usr/local/ncl-6.4., outside of my /ecanos
directory.

When manually introducing the export path commands (as attached) and trying
ncl -V i get the libssl.so.10 error message. So I think I already have
encountered too many problems to ask for some guidance.

Anything you could share with me would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Enrique Cano.