[ncl-install] Installation for begineers

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Wed May 10 11:33:10 MDT 2017

Hi Enrique,

I just tested the instructions and experienced the same “libssl.so.10” error message as you. I was able to fix this issue by using the ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-Debian7.11_64bit_gnu472.tar.gz download on Earth System Grid (https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.640.dap/file.html <https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.640.dap/file.html>), and then installing several additional packages using “apt-get”:
cd $HOME
export INSTALLDIR=/usr/local/ncl-6.4.0   # you can change this
wget --content-disposition https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/download/fileDownload.html?logicalFileId=246ab3ec-fa02-11e6-a976-00c0f03d5b7c
sudo mkdir "$INSTALLDIR"
sudo tar -zxf ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-Debian7.11_64bit_gnu472.tar.gz -C "$INSTALLDIR"
sudo apt-get install libssh2-1 libfontconfig libxrender1 libgfortran3 libgomp1

The config file to edit in this case is actually “.bashrc”. You can add the necessary lines to your .bashrc file and add the changes to your current shell by running:
echo -e "export NCARG_ROOT=\"$INSTALLDIR\"\nexport PATH=\"\$NCARG_ROOT/bin:\$PATH\"" >> $HOME/.bashrc

or just add the following lines to .bashrc manually (making sure NCARG_ROOT is set to the same path as defined above):
export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local/ncl-6.4.0
export PATH="$NCARG_ROOT/bin:$PATH”

In both cases, you’ll need to either open a new instance of bash or run “source $HOME/.bashrc” in order to update these variables in your current bash shell; future instances of bash should already have the necessary variables set.

I hope this helps!

Kevin