[ncl-install] NCL/PyNGL Anaconda test - Some result

Shi-Pei Hsu hsushipei1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 23:24:41 MDT 2016

Hi Mary,

For NCL tests:

After some more example-testing and comparison, I found that the error
message, "Segmentation fault (Core dumped)", would emerge if "png" was
specified in function "gsn_open_wks" while "x11", PostScript, PDF and SVG
outputs work fine(but for NCL-6.2.0, they all work successfully.). As a
result, I compared the version of cairo, libpng, freetype and pixman of
"ncl_test" with "Build NCL from source
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml#pkgconfig>".I
noticed that libpng in conda environment seems too new, with 1.6.7 instead
of 1.2.52 that NCL-building documentation mentioned and maybe this is why
"Segmentation fault" came out. I tried to install those packages with
correct version

$ conda create --name ncl_test_cairo_pkg --channel dbrown --channel
khallock ncl=dev cairo=1.12.18 libpng=1.2.50 freetype=2.5.5 pixman=0.32.6

but failed due to dependency conflict:

The following specifications were found to be in conflict:

  - cairo 1.12.18* -> freetype 2.4*|2.5*|2.5.*

  - cairo 1.12.18* -> libpng 1.5.13|1.6.*|1.6.17

  - cairo 1.12.18* -> pixman 0.26.2

  - freetype 2.5.5* -> libpng 1.6.*

  - libpng 1.2.50*

  - ncl dev* -> libpng

Use "conda info <package>" to see the dependencies for each package.

I guess maybe this is because the cairo was previously built with
libpng-1.6.x.

Thanks!!

Best regards,

She-Pei