[ncl-install] short2float problem

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 21 10:45:04 MDT 2015

Hi Gwenaëlle,
First, please post general questions about NCL to the ncl-talk email list
and not to the ncl-install email list. You can subscribe here:

Whenever you get a NclMalloc Failed error you are running out of system
memory. See: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/#err_msgs_001
for tips on how to proceed. In short, you likely need to read in fewer time
steps or reduce your spatial area.

Another method to try would be to use short2flt immediately upon read-in:
a = addfile("file.nc","r")
xF = short2flt(a->temperature_anomaly)

Finally, NCL v6.2.0 is 2 versions old; if you can it is recommended that
you install the newest version of NCL (v6.3.0) that was recently released.

Hope that helps. If not or if you have further questions, please respond to
the ncl-talk email list.
Adam

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Gwenaelle Berthier <
gwenaelle.berthier at meteoprotect.com> wrote:

> Dear ncl-people,
>
> I've installed a ncl-6.2.0 version with no OPeNDAP capacities on a Ubuntu
> machine (I had some libxxx.so problems).
>
> I have 6Go Swap memory but my script failed when running the short2float
> function.
> I have seen many comments on the archives' forum but i could not fix my
> problem.
>
> For example, my file is 0.9 Go with a short variable (called xS) of 3
> dimensions (5000 x 201 x 464).
> I can read the data, extract my variable but i could not create a new
> variable as a float and afterwards, convert xS into a float variable.
>
> xF = new ( dimsizes(xS), float, 1.e20)   (see contributed.ncl)
> fatal:NclMalloc Failed:[errno=12]
> fatal:New: could not create new array:[errno=12]
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> Kind regards,
> Gwenaëlle

Adam Phillips