[ncl-install] ymake-filter in installing NCL/NCARG

Rick Grubin grubin at ucar.edu
Fri May 9 13:57:39 MDT 2008

Hi William

> I have an old Fortran application (early 90s) written by someone
> else that requires NCAR graphics. The application was written using
> extensions to Fortran 77 that were incorporated into Fortran 90,
> but are not extensions incorporated into g77 so I need to use a
> Fortran 90/95 compiler. The most commonly available Linux systems
> have not been upgraded to gcc 4.x, so gfortran is not available,
> but they do have PGF Fortran 90/95, and perhaps Absoft Fortran
> 90/95. An attempt to use the binaries suggested that they relied on
> gcc, and the gcc 3.x binaries required g77. Was my interpretation
> correct?

You are correct in stating that the downloadable binaries that were
built with gcc 3.x would have used g77 as the Fortran compiler where
necessary.  Binaries that were built with gcc 4.x would have used
gfortran.  Our Linux build hosts are all using gcc 4.x/gfortran, I
believe.

> I am now attempting to use the NCL-NCARG 5.0 source code to install
> on the systems. However I quickly ran into a problem. I think I
> have the environmental variables set properly, but when I enter
> ./ymake
> on the command line in the config directory I get the error
> message ..."/ymake-filter: Command not found." This response does
> not seem to be addressed in the documentation. There is a ymake-
> filter.c in the directory, that I suppose should be compiled, but
> it isn't discussed in the installation direction. I am reluctant to
> make using yMakefile, as that is not mentioned in the
> documentation, and I am not a UNIX guru.

I'll assume that, when you reference 'the documentation' that you
mean this document:

	http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml

Assuming that, it sounds as though you're having trouble at this
point in the document:

	Customize NCL build environment  (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/
build_from_src.shtml#CustomizeNCLBuildEnvironment)

The instructions there build the executable 'ymake-filter'  (that's
what the 'make -f Makefile.ini' command does) -- did you do this step?
As you're trying to build on a Linux host, I suggest that you have a
look at the various files named 'LINUX.<something>' to see which best
meets your needs.  These files are there as templates for various
system configurations; the idea is to choose one which most closely
meets your needs, rename it 'LINUX' and edit to suit.  Do this prior
to the steps noted above (i.e. before you 'make / ymake').

Please let us know if you have more questions.

----
Rick Grubin      NCAR/TDD/CISL/VETS
Visualization + Enabling Technologies
grubin at ucar.edu             303.497.1832