[ncl-install] ymake-filter in installing NCL/NCARG

William Clodius,,, wclodius at lanl.gov
Fri May 9 12:12:36 MDT 2008

I have an old Fortran application (early 90s) written by someone else
that requires NCAR graphics. The application was written using
extensions to Fortran 77 that were incorporated into Fortran 90, but
are not extensions incorporated into g77 so I need to use a Fortran
90/95 compiler. The most commonly available Linux systems have not
been upgraded to gcc 4.x, so gfortran is not available, but they do
have PGF Fortran 90/95, and perhaps Absoft Fortran 90/95. An attempt
to use the binaries suggested that they relied on gcc, and the gcc
3.x binaries required g77. Was my interpretation correct?

I am now attempting to use the NCL-NCARG 5.0 source code to install
on the systems. However I quickly ran into a problem. I think I have
the environmental variables set properly, but when I enter
./ymake
on the command line in the config directory I get the error
message ..."/ymake-filter: Command not found." This response does not
seem to be addressed in the documentation. There is a ymake-filter.c
in the directory, that I suppose should be compiled, but it isn't
discussed in the installation direction. I am reluctant to make using
yMakefile, as that is not mentioned in the documentation, and I am
not a UNIX guru.

--
William B. Clodius            Space & Remote Sensing Sciences
Tech. Staff Member, ISR-2     Phone: (505) 665-9370

LANL email review:
[x] - Non-Technical Correspondence
[ ] - Technical Correspondence
       [ ] - DUSA: