[ncl-install] ymake-filter in installing NCL/NCARG

William Clodius,,, wclodius at lanl.gov
Mon May 12 17:57:16 MDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Rick Grubin wrote:

> Hi William
>
>> <snip>
>
>> I am now attempting to use the NCL-NCARG 5.0 source code to
>> install on the systems. However I quickly ran into a problem. I
>> think I have the environmental variables set properly, but when I
>> enter
>> ./ymake
>> on the command line in the config directory I get the error
>> message ..."/ymake-filter: Command not found." This response does
>> not seem to be addressed in the documentation. There is a ymake-
>> filter.c in the directory, that I suppose should be compiled, but
>> it isn't discussed in the installation direction. I am reluctant
>> to make using yMakefile, as that is not mentioned in the
>> documentation, and I am not a UNIX guru.
>
> I'll assume that, when you reference 'the documentation' that you
> mean this document:
>
> 	http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml
>
> Assuming that, it sounds as though you're having trouble at this
> point in the document:
>
> 	Customize NCL build environment  (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/
> build_from_src.shtml#CustomizeNCLBuildEnvironment)
>
> The instructions there build the executable 'ymake-filter'  (that's
> what the 'make -f Makefile.ini' command does) -- did you do this step?

Ah I see the problem. I tried to use ncl_ncarg-5.0.0/INSTALL.html as
my guide, assumed it would be up to date and didn't notice the first
line
"[The latest version of this document can be found at http://
www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml]"
INSTALL.html does not have the command 'make -f Makefile.ini'

--
William B. Clodius            Space & Remote Sensing Sciences
Tech. Staff Member, ISR-2     Phone: (505) 665-9370

LANL email review:
[x] - Non-Technical Correspondence
[ ] - Technical Correspondence
       [ ] - DUSA: