[ncarg-talk] undefined value for percentage bias

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 24 16:17:01 MDT 2018

Dear Samy,

In the future, please post NCL questions to the ncl-talk email list and not
the ncarg-talk email list:

This error message occurs when you are trying to plot a data variable that
contains all missing values.

It is very important to look at your data if you are getting errors when
plotting it.  We tell people to use procedures like print, printMinMax, and
printVarSummary to examine their data variables before plotting.

For example,
​ I see that "m(0,:,:)" is one of the variables you are trying to plot. "m"
is first read off a file and then has a mask applied to it. You need to
look at "m"​ after you read it off the file and after you apply the mask,
to see where it might be getting set to all missing:

  m = l->gpp(:,:,:)

​;---Look at m after reading it off the file
​  printVarSummary(m)​

  printMinMax(m
​(0,:,:)​
,0)
​

  m = mask(m,landsea,2)

​;---Look at m again after applying mask​

  printMinMax(m
​(0,:,:)​
,0)

​Since you are seeing this error in multiple locations, you need to look at
all the variables you're plotting in the same fashion, by inserting various
calls to printMinMax and/or printVarSummary.

​Meanwhile, if you every get an NCL error message you don't understand, you
can go to the NCL home page and click on "Support" in the black bar and
then select "Error Messages". This will take you to this page, which
describes some common errors in NCL, what causes them, and how to fix them:​

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Language/error_messages.shtml

​The error you were asking about was not in the list, so I just now added
it.

If you continue to have questions or problems, please start a new email
thread and post it to ncl-talk at ucar.edu, after using the above link to
subscribe.

Thank you,

--Mary​