[Narccap-topic-extremes] NARCCAP Extremes - What are you doing?

Francina Dominguez francina at hwr.arizona.edu
Mon Aug 8 09:42:41 MDT 2011

Hello everyone,
We are using NARCCAP to look at extreme events over the Western US using a
peaks over a threshold approach. We compare to NARR data (it assimilates
precipitation).
Francina

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Brian Reich <brian_reich at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> It has been very interesting learning about your research.  I am
> interested in developing new statistical methods for extremes.  In
> particular, I am studying new models for
>
>   (1) Statistical downscaling of extremes
>   (2) Bayesian spatial models for extremes
>   (3) Statistical models of heat waves
>
> I look forward to learning about other statistical challenges you all
> encounter through this mailing list, and welcome future collaboration.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>

> On 8/5/2011 3:32 PM, Grant Weller wrote:
> > Hello all, and thanks for the posts thus far.
> >
> > I have been using a multivariate extremes approach to study the pineapple
> express (PE) phenomenon on the west coast of the US.  I have defined a daily
> precipitation quantity from the west coast region which is believed to
> capture extreme precipitation from PE events, and modeled the extremal
> dependence (between RCM output and observations) in this daily quantity as
> extracted from each of the six NARCCAP models driven by NCEP reanalysis, and
> the Maurer gridded observational precipitation data.
> >
> > Furthermore, I've found that not all extreme precipitation events in the
> west coast region of the US are associated with PE events, and so I've been
> working on developing a "pineapple express index" from large-scale
> atmospheric processes which shows tail dependence to observed precipitation.
>  The main goal is to be able to use future values of this index and future
> RCM output to describe extreme precipitation from pineapple express events
> under climate change.
> >
> > This is joint work with Dan Cooley (CSU Department of Statistics).  I've
> also been funded for this work during the summer by the GSP group at IMAGe
> at NCAR, and Steve Sain will likely be a co-author on a resulting
> publication.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Grant
> >
> > Grant Weller
> > Department of Statistics
> > Colorado State University
> > gbweller at cord.edu
> >
> > On Aug 5, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Reza Najafi wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Bill and thank you for the posts.
> >>
> >> Using NARCCAP data I intend to generate streamflow and work on the
> extremes
> >> based on EVT. Now the important part is how to model
> dependency(spatially
> >> and temporally) in the extremes. I'd be glad to exchange ideas with
> >> everybody and I am still in the early stage of the work with no
> publication
> >> from it. I wasn't sure if I should have simply replied to from the email
> or
> >> ... is it the way we are going to discuss for future?
> >>
> >> Thank you
> >>
> >> Reza
> >> --
> >> Mohammad Reza Najafi
> >> Portland State University
> >> Civil and Environmental Engineering
> [...]

Francina Dominguez
Assistant Professor
Department of Atmospheric Sciences
Department of Hydrology and Water Resources
University of Arizona