[Narccap-topic-extremes] NARCCAP Extremes - What are you doing?

Brian Reich brian_reich at ncsu.edu
Fri Aug 5 15:21:07 MDT 2011

Hello everybody,

It has been very interesting learning about your research.  I am
interested in developing new statistical methods for extremes.  In
particular, I am studying new models for

   (1) Statistical downscaling of extremes
   (2) Bayesian spatial models for extremes
   (3) Statistical models of heat waves

I look forward to learning about other statistical challenges you all
encounter through this mailing list, and welcome future collaboration.

Thanks,
Brian

On 8/5/2011 3:32 PM, Grant Weller wrote:
> [...]
>
> Furthermore, I've found that not all extreme precipitation events in the west coast region of the US are associated with PE events, and so I've been working on developing a "pineapple express index" from large-scale atmospheric processes which shows tail dependence to observed precipitation.  The main goal is to be able to use future values of this index and future RCM output to describe extreme precipitation from pineapple express events under climate change.
>
> This is joint work with Dan Cooley (CSU Department of Statistics).  I've also been funded for this work during the summer by the GSP group at IMAGe at NCAR, and Steve Sain will likely be a co-author on a resulting publication.
>
> Thanks,
> Grant
>
> Grant Weller
> Department of Statistics
> Colorado State University
> gbweller at cord.edu
>
> On Aug 5, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Reza Najafi wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill and thank you for the posts.
>>
>> Using NARCCAP data I intend to generate streamflow and work on the extremes
>> based on EVT. Now the important part is how to model dependency(spatially
>> and temporally) in the extremes. I'd be glad to exchange ideas with
>> everybody and I am still in the early stage of the work with no publication
>> from it. I wasn't sure if I should have simply replied to from the email or
>> ... is it the way we are going to discuss for future?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>> Reza
>> --
>> Mohammad Reza Najafi
>> Portland State University
>> Civil and Environmental Engineering
>> P.O. Box 751
>> Portland, OR 97207-0751
>> tel: (503) 810-3098
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Hess, Jeremy<jhess at emory.edu>  wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Bill.
>>>
>>> I'm doing some work at CDC on extreme heat events looking retrospectively
>>> at a dataset abstracted out from NCDC's data for approximately 100 cities
>>> across the US, extrapolating out temperature trends and projecting them
>>> forward, and then generating scenarios of extreme heat events for
>>> preparedness planning.  It's intentionally relatively low tech, though we
>>> will be using some novel approaches based on extreme value theory to
>>> generate the estimates of extremes from the projected point estimates.  If
>>> anyone has expertise in this area I would love to touch base.  We will also
>>> be comparing our (low-tech) estimates with regional downscaled projections
>>> for extreme heat events, and I'd like to talk with anyone doing that, as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jeremy Hess, MD, MPH
>>> Senior Medical Advisor, Climate and Health Program, DEHHE, NCEH, CDC

>>> Fax:1-515-294-2619
>>> http://www.ge-at.iastate.edu/
>>> http://rcmlab.agron.iastate.edu/