[NARCCAP-discuss] High observed vs. modeled errors for precipitation

Gutowski, William J [GE AT] gutowski at iastate.edu
Fri Aug 30 12:43:04 MDT 2013

Kelli:
	I would also strongly suggest that you do not select models simply on the
basis of which ones happen to do best for your particular basin or region.
 That does not guarantee that they produce the best climate change for
your region because the change will be affected not only by local factors,
but also by changes in remote influences, which other models might do
better.  In general, unless a model is particularly bad, you should use
the full ensemble.

	Also, it looks like you are using the GCM-driven contemporary simulations
to evaluate the models.  These simulations will have two sources of bias:
GCM bias and the RCM bias.  In general, for an application such as yours,
some degree of bias correction is necessary.  Precipitation also is much
more difficult for models to simulate well than temperature.  I do not
have the appropriate references at hand, but I suggest you look into work
by Dennis Lettenmaier, Eric Wood and colleagues concerning bias
correction, especially for hydrologic applications.

	Finally, is your "observed data" your own, or a community data set?  If
the latter, I would suggest that you do not rely solely on one
observational data set, unless you have compelling reasons to use just one.

Best wishes on your work,
Bill Gutowski
--
William J. Gutowski, Jr.

3021 Agronomy Hall
Dept. of Geological & Atmospheric Sciences
Dept. of Agronomy
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa  50011-1010

Tel:  1-515-294-5632