[NARCCAP-discuss] Interpreting NARCCAP Data

Sinha, Paramita psinha at rti.org
Wed Feb 22 09:47:19 MST 2012

Hi,

I am exploring the idea of using the NARCCAP RCM data to  project
migration patterns of US households under climate scenarios. I am
interested in using output from different GCM/RCM so that I can study
sensitivity.  I need to know how to interpret the variable names
correctly, so that I use the appropriate datasets. Some preliminary
questions I have are as follows:

(1)    What is the temporal structure (e.g. Is the data available at the
daily/monthly levels?)

(2)    What time periods can we get projection data for (e.g. yearly
till 2100??)

(3)    What do the terms current and future exactly mean? (e.g. the
HRM3-HadCM3 has two sets of tables)

(4)    What is do these each of the tables represent?? (e.g. Table 2:
Primary 3-hourly surface fields (2-D))

(5)    Are data on temperature, precipitation, heating degree days,
cooling degree days, snowfall, relative humidity  projections available
for each month of the year? Which tables are relevant?

(6)    Are data available in "temperature bins" ( e.g. number of days in
each 5 degree  temperature bins)? Which tables are relevant?

Is there any detailed documentation/ references that I can look that to
get a better understanding of the data? I appreciate any help you can
give me!

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Paramita

Paramita Sinha, PhD

Senior Economist
Environmental, Technology, and Energy Economics
Research Triangle Institute
701 13th Street, NW, Suite 750

Washington, DC 20005-3967

Phone:  (202)9747875